The Anglo Norman invasion of Ireland began in May 1169 when Norman troops led by Robert Fitz Stephen and Maurice de Prendergast landed in Bannow Bay, Wexford.
After the success of the first invasion, the second wave of Anglo-Normans arrived into Baginbun on the Hook Peninsula, Co. Wexford almost a year later (1st May 1170) led by Raymond Fitzgerald (Raymond le Gros).
Le Gross, who had 10 men at arms and 70 archers, was joined by Hervey de Montmorency and established a defended camp at Baginbun.
Le Gros and his men were attacked at Baginbun by a combined force of 3,000 Norsemen drawn from the City of Waterford and their Irish allies. Although outnumbered the Normans managed to drive off the attackers and take prisoners.
This battle was to be known as "the battle where Ireland was lost and won!"
Le Gross remained at Baginbun until Strongbow, Richard fitz Gilbert de Clare, landed near Waterford on the 23rd of August with an army of 1,200 and their combined forces took the City of Waterford on the 25th of August.
Raymond Le Gros was granted these very lands of the Hook Peninsula as reward for his bravery. He built “The Hall” on this site in 1170 and coined and adopted the surname Redmond to ensure the continuation of his legacy.
The original castle was replaced by the Redmond Family in 1350, it then became known as Redmond Hall. The Redmond family lived here for years in relative peace until 1642 when they had to defend the Hall from Captain Ashton and his soldiers (loyal to the King of England) during the Irish Confederate War. They were hugely outnumbered in the attack but defended the Hall with success. They barricaded the Hall and fought a lengthy gun battle until help arrived from the Irish Confederates Captain Thomas Roche and Captain Rossiter and their men.
The location of Redmond Hall on the estuary of the river leading to Waterford city meant it was in line for another attack, this time by Oliver Cromwell and his forces during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland in 1649.
Cromwell stated he would take Ireland "By Hook or by Crook" which refers to the two prominent headlands on either side of the estuary to the harbours of Waterford and New Ross
Cromwell’s forces attacked Redmond Hall on two occasions, failing both times to take it. After staunch defense of "The Hall" by Raymond Les Gros great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandson Alexander Redmond in August 1649, Cromwell and Redmond agreed terms allowing Alexander Redmond to stay in the Hall until his death.
After his passing in 1650, his family were evicted from Redmond Hall.